Regular dental exams and cleanings are crucial components of maintaining good oral health. The American Dental Association recommends visiting the dentist bi-annually for a comprehensive assessment and professional teeth cleaning. During these visits, dentists and dental hygienists can identify and address any dental issues early on before they develop into more serious problems. They can also provide patients with valuable education and advice on proper oral hygiene practices to help prevent future dental issues.
Main Role of Dental Exams And Cleanings
The main role of getting dental exams and dental teeth cleanings near you is to promote good oral health by preventing and treating dental issues early on. During a dental exam, a dentist will thoroughly examine a patient’s teeth, gums, and tongue to check for tooth decay, gum disease, oral cancer, and other dental problems. The dentist may also take X-rays to detect any hidden dental issues.
In addition to examining the teeth, dental cleaning is essential to maintaining good oral health. The dentist will remove any plaque buildup and also polish the teeth. Regular dental exams and cleanings maintain healthy teeth and gums, prevent future dental problems, and improve overall health and well-being.
The Benefits of Professional Dental Cleanings
Professional dental exams and cleanings in Redding are essential to maintaining good oral health. While regular brushing and flossing can help remove plaque and prevent tooth decay, they cannot remove all of the buildup on your teeth. That’s where professional dental cleaning comes in. ·
- Prevents tooth decay: Plaque buildup can lead to tooth decay and cavities. Professional dental cleanings remove the buildup of plaque and tartar on the teeth, helping to prevent tooth decay and cavities.
- Prevents gum disease: Dental cleanings remove tartar buildup, a major contributor to gum disease. Additionally, regular exams allow for early detection of gum disease symptoms, enabling timely intervention and treatment to prevent its progression and potential complications.
- Freshens breath: Bad breath can be caused by bacteria buildup in the mouth. Professional dental cleanings remove the bacteria and plaque that can cause bad breath, leaving your mouth feeling fresh and clean.
- Saves money: Investing in teeth cleaning and regular dental exams can save you money in the long run. You can avoid costly and extensive treatments later by detecting and addressing oral health issues early on, such as cavities or gum disease. Moreover, preventive care helps maintain the health of your teeth, reducing the need for expensive procedures like fillings, root canals, or extractions, ultimately saving you from financial burdens associated with complex dental treatments.
- Improves overall health: Good oral health has been linked to better overall health. Regular dental cleanings can help prevent systemic diseases like heart disease and diabetes.
Tips For Maintaining Good Dental Hygiene At Home
While visiting the pediatric dentist near you for regular check-ups and cleanings is important, taking care of your oral health at home is equally important.
- Brush your teeth properly: Brush your teeth using a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste. Use gentle, circular motions and ensure to clean all surfaces.
- Floss daily: Regular flossing is essential for removing plaque and food particles. Take your time and be thorough when flossing to reach all areas.
- Use mouthwash: Rinse your mouth with an antimicrobial to freshen your breath. Look for a mouthwash that is alcohol-free and recommended by dental professionals.
- Practice proper technique: Ensure you use the correct technique while brushing and flossing.
- Replace your toothbrush regularly: Replace your toothbrush quarterly or sooner if the bristles become frayed. Worn-out bristles may not effectively clean your teeth.
- Maintain a balanced diet: Limit your intake of sugary foods, as they can contribute to tooth decay. Instead, opt for a balanced diet rich in teeth-friendly vitamins and minerals.
- Stay hydrated: Water helps rinse away food particles and promotes saliva production, which helps protect teeth against decay.
- Avoid tobacco products: Tobacco can increase the risk of gum disease, tooth discoloration, and oral cancer.
- Schedule regular dental check-ups: Even with excellent at-home oral hygiene, regular dental check-ups are vital for optimal dental health.
Regular dental exams and cleanings can prevent serious dental problems from developing and catch any issues early on. Visit Shasta Kids Dentistry of Redding for more information about dental cleaning and exams and what to expect.